Everyone has heard of Diabetes, but do you actually know what the condition is? Let’s take a closer look at Diabetes, the different types, common symptoms and how osteopathic treatment may help.
Lets take a closer look at Diabetes
Diabetes is a health condition that occurs when your body does not produce enough insulin or cannot use the insulin it produces. Insulin is a hormone that converts glucose into energy, usually keeping your blood glucose levels in check.
What are the types of Diabetes?
- Type 1 – is an autoimmune condition where the immune system attacks the cells that produce insulin. The cause is unknown and there is no cure for Type 1 diabetes.
- Type 2 – develops gradually when the body becomes resistant to the effects of insulin and loses the ability to produce enough insulin. There are strong links to genetics and lifestyle risk factors.
- Gestational – occurs during pregnancy. It is characterised by abnormally high glucose levels, usually around 24-28 weeks.
What are the common symptoms?
Common symptoms include:
- Increased thirst and constant hunger
- Passing more urine
- Unexplained weight loss (Type 1)
- Gradual weight gain (Type 2)
- Vision changes or blurred vision
- Fatigue and lethargy
Type 1 diabetes has a rapid onset of symptoms, and most people are diagnosed before they reach adulthood. Type 2 diabetes is harder to detect. The symptoms are not as severe, so it can go unnoticed for long periods of time.
How to treat and manage Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes requires insulin replacement through injections or a pump. Daily doses of insulin are required to control blood glucose levels. Lifestyle changes cannot prevent Type 1 diabetes, however maintaining a healthy lifestyle after diagnosis can reduce your risk of developing serious complications (e.g. kidney disease or eye damage).
Through changes to diet and increased physical activity you can slow or halt the progression of Type 2 diabetes, which is where your osteo comes in! You may also need medicine to manage glucose levels, but together with your Doctor, osteopathic treatment can help to manage your symptoms.
Can Osteopathic treatment help?
As osteopaths, we take a holistic approach to healthcare. Whether you have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes or are working to slow the onset of Type 2, we can provide diet, exercise, stress-management and lifestyle advice to help.
Osteopathic treatment can also help to relieve some of the musculoskeletal symptoms/dysfunction caused by diabetes. We will work with you to understand your symptoms and develop an appropriate treatment plan to get you back to feeling your best. Contact us at the Maidstone or Rainham clinic today and feel the difference osteopathy can make in your day-to-day life when living with this condition.